Helping You Achieve Your Home Dreams
SJCS offers homebuyers the opportunity to receive personalized homebuyer counseling to prospective homebuyers of any home, not just a home from SJCS. Our housing counselor provides guidance and advice to help families and individuals improve their housing conditions and meet the responsibility of sustainable homeownership. Our counselor is bilingual in English and Spanish. SJCS is a HUD-approved housing counseling agency.
Counseling covers the following topics:
- Completing necessary applications to become a homebuyer
- Evaluating mortgagor readiness
- How to establish credit
- Credit report analysis and repair
- Budgeting for mortgage payments
- Improving money management skills
- Scheduling home inspections
- Referrals to title companies, mortgage lenders, real estate agents, homeowners insurance brokers and other service providers
- Closing assistance
- How to apply for special programs and down payment assistance available to potential homebuyers
- Locating resources and methods to help for home improvements
- Assistance in choosing a home within your budget
- Post-purchase counseling on home budgeting, home improvements and referrals to neighborhood services
The cost for both the Homeowner’s Academy and One on One counseling is $55 for an individual and $80 for a couple. This cost covers a credit check and course materials.
If you have any questions regarding the homeowner’s process, please contact Jim Roche at (856) 966-8117, extension 232. SJCS staff is available to answer your questions about owning a home or participating in SJCS’s homeowner education classes.